ImageDisk project is canceled

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 08:16:35 CST 2005

Christer O. Andersson wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 07:10:36AM -0600, Doc Shipley wrote:
>>   Where's your code, Mr. Mouse?  And the rest of whoever's having an
>> issue with this?  What are YOU doing for the community?
>
> They could help with ImageDisk if the source was available.

It *is* available. It's just not downloadable from any website because it's
not considered by the author to yet be polished enough for people to be adding
their own features and working on collaborative development.

To be honest, I expect the most successful OSS projects are the ones where a
reasonable first release is done in relative isolation by one or more people
in order to get things rolling, before it being flung open to a wider
audience. Otherwise you end up with everyone who wishes to contribute having a
different and often conflicting idea of what are desirable features, and the
whole thing degenerates into a mess where nothing gets done.

>>   Dave Dunfield is producing working tools, *free of charge*.  He's
>> taking suggestions for features and fixes, he's made his image format
>> freely available.  But it's his, to do with and to distribute as he pleases.
>
> And that is a problem. If you rely on his tools, and find it
> malfunctions in some way, you cannot fix the problem without the
> source. If Dave is not supporting his tool anymore for some reason,
> your stuck. Your saved disk might be lost. If the source is available
> you can either fix it yourself or arrange with somebody to fix it
> for you.

But, yet again, source *is* available, and Dave made that clear early on. I
really don't get why so many people seem to be missing that point.