ImageDisk project is canceled

M H Stein dm561 at torfree.net
Tue Dec 20 14:51:43 CST 2005

Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:26:54 -0500
From: "Teo Zenios" <teoz at neo.rr.com>
Subject: Re: ImageDisk project is canceled

<snip>
>...it is easy for the developer to get a bruised ego because they take any criticism
>personally...>
<snip>

He didn't "take it personally," it _was_ personal; at least three messages mentioned
the words "lost respect for you." That's the real point, it's pretty childish to insult
someone like Dave, who's contributed a great deal, because he doesn't agree with
your idea of when and how FREE software should be released.

All that does is cause me and no doubt a few others to lose a little respect for the
people doing it, not because of their opinions and choices but because of their
character. Something they might think about; not only has the community
lost something as a result, but so have they personally (although I doubt that they
care).

As for Dave, I respect him for the work he's done and his offer to share it with the
rest of us. I also respect his choices, and he has my sympathy.

It's ironic that this sort of thing, like the attitude that anyone using Windows instead
of Linux is a "luzer" instead of a fellow computer enthusiast, is so prevalent in
this community which is made up for the most part of very creative people; one
would think we would be more open-minded.

>There are pitfalls to going public with a project, if being in the spotlight
>and everything associated with that is not your thing then think twice about
>going public in the first place.

And you think that's a good thing? Not that I have anything to contribute, but if
I ever do I won't even think once after this, and just share it quietly with people
who will appreciate it and whose criticism would actually be productive.

mike