ImageDisk project is canceled

Christer O. Andersson christer at a-son.net
Tue Dec 20 16:26:03 CST 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 01:45:13PM -0800, Dwight Elvey wrote:
> >From: "Christer O. Andersson" <christer at a-son.net>
> >
> >On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 11:42:13AM +0000, Jules Richardson wrote:
> >
> >> care about having source. The only people it would seem to affect are those
> >> who wanted to take Dave's code, modify it, and release it as though it were
> >> all their own work - and I doubt anyone on this list would be happy with
> >> someone who did that.
> >
> >You don't get it - that's exactly what GPL protects against.
>
> Hi Again
>  Maybe that isn't important to him. He might have other
> reasons to not use GPL. I've never used it and don't ever expect
> to. I see no reason that any of the code that I've published
> can't be used by anyone for whatever reason they like. I
> know that some bits and pieces have made it into commercial
> software. That is OK with me. They can copy the entire thing
> if they like.

Hi!
Yes, that is of course a personal matter. I am not sure of my own
preference, I think it depends on what kind of software it would
be.  The point I was trying to make was that you can actually
release your source without having it snatched away. But that was
not Dave's fear, it was expressed by Jules Richardson. I don't know
whether Dave share that fear or not.

>  Dave has his reasons for how he is doing this. The fact that
> he doesn't have the software source available does little to
> diminish the work that he has done. He is in the process of

No, it can be a great thing still, but it is more trustworthy if
you can read the source code, and as I have mentioned enough already,
others can pick it up if the original author for one reason or
another decides to drop the project. I would personally never trust
a tool that can disappear anytime due to the authors wish. It
actually happened here, even if Dave realized it was a bit thick
and changed his mind to let people continue to use the tool.

> developing his code and has stated that he would not like
> to release it right now. I'd feel the same myself, even if
> I later planned release it to public domain.
>  As for project help during developement, I've tried it
> twice myself. In both cases, the help that was promised
> never completed. I'm not mad about it but I realize that
> I could have completed it faster on my own. I may try
> it again in the future but like a lot of things. Offers
> of help are just that, offers. I have not completed some help
> projects for others myself. I know why but that doesn't
> change the facts.

YMMV of course. If you choose not to publish your code, you will
definately not get any help.

--
Christer O. Andersson
Odensbacken