floppy imaging

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Wed Dec 21 21:15:32 CST 2005

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005, Al Kossow wrote:
> The problem comes with discovering the format. I've read and re-read the
> 8272 and 765 data sheets. From what I can see the only way to see what
> sectors are on the current track is to use the ReadID command. This
> returns the ID bytes from the next sector header to pass under the head.
> There is no way to automatically dump all the IDs from all the sectors
> from index pulse to the next index pulse (if there is, can somebody
> please enlighten me).

You can read multiple IDs during a revolution (200msec)
If you don't get 'em all, put in a different delay.

A flux transition board (CopyII option board),
or a machine with a 179x can do a track read, that can be analyzed at a
glance.
Got Trakcess in your TRS80 M3/4 software?

You can analyze MOST formats by trying to read a 256 byte, a 512 byte, and
a 1024 byte sector, such as #2, and then trying the numbers up and down to
find first and last.  Won't work for sectors whose numbering don't start
with 0 or 1, or ones with invalid headers (such as side B of Kaypro)