PDP-11 9-track tapes

Miller, Keven kevenm at reeltapetransfer.com
Sat Dec 24 05:25:20 CST 2005

Occasionally, I extract data from 9-track tapes with densities
of 1600 and 6250, using an HP3000 system and 7980XC tape drive.

Recently I received 4 tapes from a PDP-11, RSX-11M, created
with backup (BRU format), that I instantly get media read
errors.

These were created about 2 weeks ago, so not old tapes.
(Well, not old backup, not sure about age of tapes!)

Because of the "older" system, I am suspecting that they may
be 800 bpi tapes.

So I am asking for some enlightenment from those of you who are
more familiar to PDP-11s about tapes and possible reasons
I may not be able to read them?

800 bpi
possibility of 7-track
unique tape format