Where to buy a Selectric?

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Thu Dec 29 16:41:39 CST 2005

On Thursday 29 December 2005 14:20, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>   I'm looking to get a nice IBM Selectric typewriter - for typewriter,
> not computer console, use.  Not too picky as to typeball etc., but
> if someone wants to tell me what to look for and what to avoid, I'm
> all ears.
>   In the past I've used both Selectric II's and III's and can't
> say I prefer one over the other. I am looking to keep it for many
> years with only light to moderate use so reliability/parts availability
> is somewhat important.
>   Anyone want to recommend a US (or Washington DC) area dealer who
> stands above the rest?  Or should I just take my chances on E-pay?

There's a shop* in Los Altos, CA that sells IBM Selectric typewriters. Really.

As a member of the Computer History Museum PDP-1 restoration team, I used them
a few months ago to restore the non-electronic mechanicals of the IBM type
"B" typewriter which is the console for the PDP-1. The 1620 restoration team
also used them to restore the console of the 1620.

Here's their full address:

*Los Altos Typewriter, Moody Business Machines, 300 State Street, Los Altos,
CA 94022. Phone: 650-948-0714

I also see Selectrics in various condition "pop up" at various local (SF Bay
Area) brokers and scrappers fairly often.

Cheers,
Lyle
--
Lyle Bickley