Where to buy a Selectric?

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 17:25:17 CST 2005

> One of the problems with old Selectrics is eventually the neoprene drive
> belt deteriorates and breaks.  I'm no Selectric repairman, but a peek
> inside a nice wide-carriage Selectric III that I've got stashed away looks
> like replacement of said belt is a major operation and probably not worth
> the trouble.

I have never seen inside a Selectric, but I've heard that to change one
of the belts you have to remove the main shaft, which is a major
operation.

I was told that if you do this, slip 2 belts over the shaft and tape one
to the side of the chassis out of the way. Next time it breaks, work that
spare one onto the pulleys.