Where to buy a Selectric?

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Fri Dec 30 01:05:28 CST 2005

Scott Stevens wrote:
> There's really nothing else to compare to the immediacy of using
> a typewriter.  These days everything written is transferred into
> an electronic ether, to possibly be printed someday, more likely
> to just disappear.  It's a very 'real' experience to type a page
> of thoughts direct to a piece of paper.  And it is something that
> many people no longer experience.

The experience is what you make of it; 50 years ago, people would have
said the same thing about writing longhand was the 'real' experience,
and that typing made you think too quickly.

That being said, I do understand your point of view and share it.  For
me in grade school, working with my first word processor (Apple II
easywriter, I think) was the same thing -- I (slowly) typed, and my
thoughts appeared realtime on the screen, which I hadn't "gotten" until
then.

This could turn into a whole new topic in and of itself, so I'll stop my
rambling :)
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)
World's largest electronic gaming project:    http://www.MobyGames.com/