AMD bit-slice machines

e.stiebler emu at ecubics.com
Sat Dec 31 11:54:51 CST 2005

Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-12-31 09:10:35 -0700, e.stiebler <emu at ecubics.com> wrote:
>
>>Richard wrote:
>>
>>>This is really interesting!  I had no idea that DEC used them for some
>>>of their processors -- personally I find that fascinating as I always
>>>pictured DEC as a "NIH" shop.
>>
>>The am2901 is just a chip. The smarts are in the microcode ;-)
>

> Is there some really interesting documentation available for these
> chips and maybe some microcode for some really simple task?

AMD: The Am2900 Family Data Book
AMD: Bipolar Microprocessor Logic and Interface
John Mick & James Brick : Bit-Slice Microprocessor Design (Black
Bit-Slice Bible)
Donnamaie E.White : Bit-Slice Design: Controller and ALUs (Red Bit-Slice
Bible)

> I'd like
> to really understand how bit-slice CPUs do work to form something like
> a VAX CPU.

If you have a VAX730, you have already everything you need ;-)