Real Old School Programming (was: Re: Where to buy a Selectric?)

Chuck Guzis cclist at sydex.com
Sat Dec 31 17:17:12 CST 2005

On 12/31/2005 at 2:46 PM Fred Cisin wrote:

>HARUMPH.
>I slash my zeroes.  Always have; always will.
>35/40 years ago, I knew a couple of people who slashed their 'Oh's.
>25 years ago, I inherited books, bookcases, etc. when the last one
>of them died.  Is there still anybody alive who does it that way?

Maybe there are some anarchists hiding out there.  Slashing zero was
definitely the IBM way and, AFAIK, the same for all other major
manufacturers (just check some of the programming language manuals on
bitsavers).

Slashing "oh" was definitely asking for trouble from the keypunch pool.

Cheers,
Chuck