Age, was Re: IBM mainframe goes for 99 cents

Gordon JC Pearce gordon at gjcp.net
Sun Feb 27 03:49:50 CST 2005

Nico de Jong wrote:

> It could be interesting to know the age"spread" of thist list contributors,
> and how long we've had the computer virus under our skin.

I'm 31, born in 1973, and I've been into electronics since I was about 6
or 7, and computers not long after.  First computer was a ZX81, then a
48k Spectrum, then a string of relatively unusual kit bought by my Dad's
boss for various datalogging projects and subsequently discarded.
AIM65, Epson HX-20, stuff like that.

Among one pile of bits was a manual for a Sinclair MK14 - attempted to
write an emulator on the Speccy in machine code, but didn't get very
far.  Subsequently wrote one in Turbo Pascal on an Amstrad PCW8256 -
very slow, but it worked!

Currently I've got various PCs and Macs, an Altos 386, IBM Workpad Z50
(not strictly speaking a classic but unusual enough to be nearly
on-topic), various Psions, a Sanyo MBC-4050 (the one mentioned on this
list, picked up from a guy literally 2 minutes up the road from me!), oh
- and the PDP11 that has been the source of so many of my postings recently!

Gordon.