Why are transistors called "Q"?

Joe R. rigdonj at cfl.rr.com
Sun Feb 27 06:34:44 CST 2005

At 12:20 AM 2/27/05 +0000, Tony wrote:
>> "T" was taken (Transformer). That was also a problem when tubes began
>> =20
>> used. I think they use X for tubes, don't they?
>Normally 'V' Certainly in UK manuals -- we call them 'valves', but HP and 
>Tekky also use 'V'.

    V is the standard designation for tubes in the US. It has been since at
least WW II.


More information about the cctalk mailing list