Reading 9-track tapes in Linux

Doc Shipley doc at mdrconsult.com
Sun Jul 3 15:12:29 CDT 2005

Vintage Computer Festival wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
>

>>Curt @ Atari Museum declared on Saturday 02 July 2005 10:31 pm:
>>
>>Uhm, I really doubt that Sellam is trying to do backups from his Linux
>>system to 9-track tapes...  I'm sure that he's trying to read tapes
>>written on something else (like maybe a PDP11 or something) on the Linux
>>box.
>

> Correct.
>
> I'll try again, though at this point I'd rather be shot in the head.

   Sellam, if you have a scratch tape, the best way to validate your
hardware is to write and then read a backup.  tar, cpio or whatever.

   Obviously that won't address questions like head alignment, but it
will tell you whether your SCSI chain is right and you're talking to the
tape drive correctly.

   And in the unimaginable case that you don't have a scratch tape,
contact me off-list.  :)

	Doc