Replace roller rubber on HP 9825 tape drive

Vintage Computer Festival vcf at siconic.com
Tue Jul 5 23:12:41 CDT 2005

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005, Tony Duell wrote:

> Ouch. The normal method of dismantling is to undo the screws, then filp
> the catridge over (metal plate on the bottom) and lift off the cover.
>
> To reassemble, the easiest way I've found is as follows :
>
> Put the full spool on its spindle
>
> Add the drive 'puck' (that's the term I've seen in all the manuals), the
> belt and the 2 idler rollers at the front of the cartridige
>
> Put the empty spool on its spindle, then bring the belt round it with
> something like a cocktail stick.
>
> Run the tape round the guids and put the end between the belt and the
> empty spool. Now start turning the drive puck by hand to run the tape
> onto the spool (it is gripped by the belt). Give it about 5 turns round
> the spool, then turn the 2 spools in opposite directions to tension the
> tape.
>
> Fit the door and its spring. IIRC you can put the spring into the door,
> hook it into a little slot to hold it tenssioned, then drop the assembly
> over the pivot pin and then flick the end of the spring to release it.

Well, I finally got around to attempting to re-spool this stupidly
designed tape.

Your description sounds like a different tape than what I was dealing
with.  The tape did not come off of either spool but was instead attached
onto both spools.

At any rate, the stupid tensioning belt (whatever its called) broke on me.
Oh well, fuck that tape.  I'll try to read it anyway (is the tensioning
belt necessary?)  I also noticed numerous spots on the the tape where the
oxide had flaked off, so any re-attempt may well be futile.  Whoever
designed these tapes is a moron.  I can't imagine how impossibly expensive
it must've been to manufacture them.

I hate computers.