WOW!!!! $15k DEC PDP-8 CLASSIC MINICOMPUTER SYSTEM DIGITAL PDP8

Scott Stevens chenmel at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 7 21:45:15 CDT 2005

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:00:29 -0700 (PDT)
Vintage Computer Festival <vcf at siconic.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Scott Stevens wrote:
>
> > Believe me, a day will probably come when people who are in their
> > twenties now will wax nostalgic on that old Leading Edge or Packard
> > Bell clone they started out on as a little kid, and want one just
> > like it. And most of them will have been melted down.
>
> I've got each in my collection ;)
>
> I'm not saying they're rare or anything, but I've hardly seen any 286
> or 386 computers come through my warehouse in the past few months.
> The trickle has definitely slowed down.  If you think you might have a
> need for a 286 or 386 in the future, you should probably be wanting to
> find a nice representative system right around now.

An important thing to keep a 'representative example' of in a 286
machine is one of the early 'full AT' motherboards from before the
'chipsets' hit the market.  An original IBM-AT motherboard, or one of
the first cloners, will have the same Intel 8xxx series LSI chips as the
PC-XT machines and tons of TTL gates, and no 'custom' chips at all
(aside from PALs).  Also worth getting ahold of are the early 'full-AT'
386 motherboards which have aprox the same design.  Better yet if you
can get one that has a matching proprietary 'RAM Expansion' card.

Those early AT systems are eminently repairable, and 'understandable' on
the chip-level, since there aren't the 'mystery' chipset conglomeration
parts that came into fashion when the 'Baby-AT' boards hit the market.