Power and the RA82

Pete Turnbull pete at dunnington.u-net.com
Mon Jul 11 17:27:22 CDT 2005

On Jul 11 2005, 18:07, Tim Shoppa wrote:

> On a tangential note, is it possible to "lean" on a typical household
> breaker to stop it from tripping?  Sort-of-like "battle override" on
> a Navy ship...  Or is the lever only good for resetting, and holding
> it will not stop it from tripping?  I think the latter but I've never
> tried it for real.

It may depend on the breaker.  Some of our domestic RCD breakers can't
be held in, but the normal MCBs on domestic mains distribution panels
can.  I used to hold in the 20A breaker on the circuit to my 19A UPS
for a second or two whenever it was switched back on, because otherwise
the switch-on surge tripped the breaker (class D breakers like we have
in machine rooms at work don't have that trip problem).  Oh, and if you
don't think a 19A UPS is very big, remember it's 240VAC in the UK.
 That's 4.5KW, enough to keep quite a few RA82s running.

--
Pete						Peter Turnbull
						Network Manager