Power and the RA82

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 11 18:43:17 CDT 2005

> On a tangential note, is it possible to "lean" on a typical household
> breaker to stop it from tripping?  Sort-of-like "battle override" on
> a Navy ship...  Or is the lever only good for resetting, and holding
> it will not stop it from tripping?  I think the latter but I've never
> tried it for real.

I have an idea that it's a requirement in the UK that you can't do this
-- if the lever is jammed in the 'on' position, the breaker will still
trip. Certainly alkl those of reputable manufacture behave this way (you
can try holding the lever of an RCD in the 'on' position and pressing the
test button, it will still trip).