Power and the RA82

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Tue Jul 12 09:16:57 CDT 2005

>>>>> "Scott" == Scott Stevens <chenmel at earthlink.net> writes:

 Scott> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 19:15:03 -0400 (EDT) William Donzelli
 Scott> <aw288 at osfn.org> wrote:

 >> > I would not take the chance, personally.  Maybe it's because I
 >> own > my home and I happen to like living in it and all the stuff
 >> I've > accumulated thus far in my life ;) It's not that much work
 >> to run > the correct wiring.
 >>
 >> Nor would I - but I am a son of a Chicago hospital electrician. I
 >> still use thinwall and BX (and even got exposed to thickwall a
 >> weekend ago).
 >>
 >> It is not much work, but for anyone that does this, please
 >> research the project so everything is code. Too many people take
 >> shortcuts.

 Scott> We have knob and tube wiring in part of our house here, and
 Scott> scanty, if any, grounding.  The switchbox/fusebox is bolted to
 Scott> the outside of the house in the back porch, and newer upgrade
 Scott> boxes and switches cascade down the wall beneath the original,
 Scott> which appears to be from the 1920's.  This place was built in
 Scott> 1900 and the wiring and other fancy stuff like running water
 Scott> were added years later.

 Scott> I *do* need to upgrade the wiring and service sometime soon.
 Scott> There are places in the cellar (which is beneath only one room
 Scott> of the house) where the wiring, although quite sound as far as
 Scott> I can estimate, is very scary looking.

Getting a copy of the Electric Code would be a good idea (also "Wiring
Simplified" by Richter, an excellent book).  Knob & tube wiring is
still legal (though you can't install more of it) -- which is more
than I can say for some work I have seen in newer houses that was done
by people who are licensed -- and clearly do not deserve to be.  Stuff
like grounding wires left unconnected in bathroom baseboard
heaters...  yikes.

	    paul