Mystery box

Tom Jennings tomj at wps.com
Tue Jul 12 17:17:38 CDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005, Stefan wrote:

> Can anybody tell me what this little blue box is ?
> http://www.xs4all.nl/~rimmer/mysterybox/

There is no way to tell what it is precisely from photos, make a
schematic and maybe we can. It's obviously hand made.

Well it's got a 74181 4-bit ALU, and a demux and flops, but a lot
of LEDs, so maybe it calculates CRCs, checksums, or tallies input
pulses, or counts complicated events. There's enough glue in there
to make a decent little processor-like state machine with ALU, so
it could be a very clever little box, but it probably solves some
specialized niche function, and without knowing where and how
you'll likely never know.