What is GenRad 2293 central station? (related to DEC?)

Joe R. rigdonj at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 19 17:24:31 CDT 2005

   Evidently you haven't been following my PDP-8 Saga of the last couple of
weeks. I just helped a GenRad service guy clean out his inventory of DEC
equipment.  I got a PDP-8A out of the deal and LOADS of cards, manuals,
docs and all manner of DEC related goodies. I don't know anything about the
Genrad 2293 specificly but GenRad used a LOT of DEC computers to operate
their test stations. Here's a picture of one built around a PDP-8A
<http://www.classiccmp.org/hp/pdp-8/>.  I've also seen them use 11/23s,
11/34 and 11/44. I've seen those in person but I'm sure there were others
that I never saw.

  One of the coolest DEC goodies that I have is a small GenRad box about 9"
square and 12" deep. It has a HH 8" floppy drive in it and I thought that
it was just an external disk drive when I got it but I opened it up and
found that it was a complete PDP-11/23 along with a hard drive and floppy
drive. It has RSX-11M installed on the hard drive.

  But too answer your question, it's almost certain that what you saw has a
DEC computer inside.

   Joe