Repairing IC pins

Paul Koning pkoning at equallogic.com
Fri Jul 22 15:32:03 CDT 2005

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul Koning <pkoning at equallogic.com> writes:

>>>>> "Dwight" == Dwight K Elvey <dwight.elvey at amd.com> writes:
 >>> From: "Paul Koning" <pkoning at equallogic.com>
 >>>
 >>>>>>>> "Dwight" == Dwight K Elvey <dwight.elvey at amd.com> writes:

 Dwight> ...  I have a number of RAM IC that are gradually failing
 Dwight> because they have the iron cored pins. I guess these were
 Dwight> cheaper ...
 >>> Probably not.  Chances are the pin is actually made of Kovar or
 >>> some

 Dwight> Hi Paul No, these are made with iron. It clings solidly to a
 Dwight> magnet. The cores are definitely form one of the iron oxides.
 Dwight> These are on plastic and not ceramic packages. Not many
 Dwight> materials cling that well to a magnet, other than iron that I
 Dwight> know of.

 Paul> Actually, alloys of iron, or nickel, or cobalt all cling to
 Paul> magnets, and Kovar is definitely one of those.

Come to think of it, there are two classic alloys for metal/glass
(pyrex type) or metal/ceramic seals: Kovar and Fernico.  Pick apart
that second one into syllables and you can see it has three reasons to
stick to magnets...  :-)

      paul