local demolition of SAGE building

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 24 05:56:26 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 23:59 -0400, William Donzelli wrote:
> >     Various SAGE histories have reported "technicians running up and down
> > the aisles pushing shopping carts full of tubes".  I don't know about
> > other air divisions, but I never saw it.
>
> Perhaps when the systems were first installed - tube computers went thru
> lots of tube during the first few months of life. Once the break in period
> was finished, and all the weak tubes were weeded out, tube machines are
> reasonably reliable. Most of the tubes in my SAGE junk appear to be
> originals.

And as found with Colossus, it's power cycling that really kills them,
so keep that to a minimum and they tend to last pretty well. I'll have
to ask what the failure rate was with the original Colossus machines,
also it's possible that never got documented anywhere (at least anywhere
that isn't still classified)