disk versus disc

Tue Jul 26 01:04:50 CDT 2005

> OB_CCTALK: Do modern (oxymoron?) Japanese, British, and Amurican cars
> have "Disc brakes" or "Disk brakes"?  (German cars have "disk")

To me as a native of the North American idiom, "disc" looks more
correct in that use.  But I'd also bring up "dis[ck] jockey" for
someone who spins recordings, eg for a radio station, with the implied
meaning of "dis[ck]"; in that case too I've seen both spellings but
"disc" looks more correct to me.

Cf. Terry Pratchett's "discworld" books....

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca