ST-506 hard drive emulation

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 26 16:30:15 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-26 at 14:17 -0700, Al Kossow wrote:
> I was googling for the proper spec earlier but so far haven't been able
> to find it :-(  (presumably because it's not something hobbyists ever
> really messed with)
>
> --
>
> This has been discussed several times in the past year on cctalk.

Yep... I think the last time was using a modern hard disk though; I'd
not thought about it from the point of view of using some sort of nvram
(which might be a bit easier to address)

> A good overview of disc formats can be found in two National app notes
>
> http://www.national.com/apnotes/Others__v17.html
>
> AN-413
>
> AN-501 describes the SMD interface, but National doesn't have it on line
> any more. It can be found at:
>
> http://manuales.elo.utfsm.cl/datasheet/national/pdf/nsc04334.pdf

Thanks! I just found that the ST506 service manual's on bitsavers too
and seems to have the drive schematics in :-)

cheers

Jules