ST-506 hard drive emulation

Brad Parker brad at heeltoe.com
Tue Jul 26 18:47:04 CDT 2005

Tony Duell wrote:

>> You'd need to encode the bits correctly so the data/clock seperator
>
>That's just what I'd not want to do. You can't make any asumptions about
>the clock/data encoding scheme if you want this emulator to be universal
>(after all, a real ST506 doesn't do anything to the pulse stream other than
>record it on the disk, unchanged [1]).
>
>That was the reason for the high (10*, 8* would probably be OK as well)
>sampling rate. Just record the pulses to memory, then play them back.

Ah, sorry.  I didn't get it.  You want it to be universal.

I was thinking you could act like most common controllers and encode
data that was actually on a server, a sort of "nfs server with an st-506
interface".

I never thought about it the way you are proposing...  hummm... :-)

thanks!

-brad

(lately I've been making MSCP disk images with simh and then dd'ing them
onto zip drives and booting them on an pdp-11, so you can see why I'd
be in the 'server' mindset.  I really want a SCSI server....)