Release Software to the Public Domain?

Jeff Davis jdavis at soupwizard.com
Tue Jul 26 17:06:23 CDT 2005

On Tue, July 26, 2005 5:49 pm, Antonio Carlini said:

>>While I don't think it would make any difference, the
>>executor of his estate is willing to sign a document
>>stating that anything he wrote is now in the public
>> domain. Question; what kind of document is available to do this?
>
> I'm sure GNU have one that they ask you to sign when you
> turn over code to them. Perhaps that would do?

IANAL, but the GNU license is not really public domain; it puts restrictions
on how the code can be used (derivative works must release source, credit must
be given, etc).  I think the older term "Public Domain" is more like
transfering the copyright from the author to the general public, with no
restrictions (or warranty) on how it is used.

Creative Commons has a public domain license, along with a place to store the
content and publicize the license.  It *might* not be for software, but it's a
very informative page and does have the text of a public domain license:

http://creativecommons.org/license/

Jeff