'New' RL02 on the way - how to power up?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 13:19:31 CDT 2005

On 7/27/05, gordonjcp at gjcp.net <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:
> You can't open the lid, unless you open a little hatch on the right-hand
> side and trip the catch by hand.

If that unit has one.  The little hatch does not appear on all drives.
 For those units that need opening (to dismount a pack, typically)
that one _can't_ pop the hatch then pop the lid latch, I find it's
possible to remove the 4 screws on the rear deck (the fixed part of
the top surface), then carefully lift up and wiggle on things until
it's possible to get the lid open.

It's hard to describe how to do it exactly (especially since I don't
have a drive in front of me), but if you just remember not to force
anything, you shouldn't break anything.

> As for removing the pack, you need to slide the slidey bit on the handle
> across and then pull it up to break the clamp's hold on the pack.

Naturally.  Of course, I have seen 3rd-party packs that are different
(just lift?) but a real RL02K does need to have the thumb slider
engaged when lifting the handle to cause the pack to release the
spindle.

> You *can* just pull it straight off, but I wouldn't recommend it...

Ooh... never tried that (and never would try it!)

-ethan