ST-506 hard drive emulation

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 29 18:50:24 CDT 2005

> Tony Duell wrote:
> >
> > That's a secondary issue. Once you have something that looks like an
> > ST506 drive to any controller you care to name, and which stores the
> > bitstream in semicondcutor memory, you can then consider a server that
> > loads images from, say, a SCSI drive into that memory.
>
> I think you're overthinking this.  I can't see it being that hard to
> adapt the mechanical bits of a different drive to a given set of
> electronics.  Come to that, I don't really see how it could be that hard

Maybe you want to try interfacing the HDA from a modern drive, with
unknown embedded servo patterns, etc, to the electronics from an ST506. I
don't think that's totally trivial.

> to repair ST506 drives, assuming they had not suffered a catastrophic
> head crash.

OK, I have an ST412 (maybe an ST506, it's one of the early ones) where
the hall effect sensor in the spindle motor has failed. Now, it should be
possible given a moderate clean room to dismantle the heads and platters
(and that's the only way that spindle motor will come out), but then
what? It was put together with a press, there are probably ferrofluid
seals on the shaft, etc. It's not going to be easy to take apart and get
togerther again. I know I don't have the tools to do it.