Screw Drivers and PDF Files

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sat Jun 4 03:09:42 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-03 14:57:15 -0500, Jim Leonard <trixter at oldskool.org> wrote:

> But that's not your domain/responsibility.  The PDF should have been
> perfect by the time it got to you -- PDF is a final end-destination format.
> If the scans needed touching up, they shouldn't have made it into a PDF in
> the first place.

Wrong IMHO.  As my thesis is the pure four-dimensionalism of preserving
content, it's legal (and I'd even *ask* for it) that a good preservation
format will allow later enhancements. Be it fixing some spurious black
pixels, adding textual/OCRed content or whatever.

The person that does the scanning isn't probably the one who actually
prepares the "end-format". The "end-format" should be the result of an
access to the preserved data, not the result after preservation.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw at lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O