Simulated disk drive for RT-11?

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 12:35:41 CDT 2005

On 6/6/05, Kevin Handy <kth at srv.net> wrote:
> You could make one like DEC used to: Take an 8-slot backplane, and
> fill in four of the slots with epoxy. You now have a 4 slot backplane.

Ahhhhgggg!  Ever seen that with a BA123?  Makes you cry... DEC didn't
want their graphical workstations being converted to departmental
server use, so they plugged up the extra holes in the backplane to
prevent expansion.  For a while, one could order a virgin backplane
from spares, but they eventually caught on (then they stopped hosing
workstation customers so much ;-)

Fortunately, I've only ever seen it at a DECUS (DEC-owned demo
machines); none of the machines I've worked with or personally owned
were broken this way.

-ethan