Data formats was Re: Rescue of data from Pioneer 10 & 11 tapes atJPL needed.Vintagecomputers slated for demolition.

Bjørn Vermo bv at norbionics.com
Sat Jun 11 04:10:53 CDT 2005

On 10 Jun, 2005, at 03:08, Fred Cisin wrote:

> I'm becoming convinced that the "unavailability of old computer" is
> code
> for: "the guy who understands this stuff doesn't work here anymore,
> and we don't WANT to have responsibility for the old data."

For really odd computers, I can understand that there may be problems,
but I would think that users in most cases got their data and
applications ported to the next generation. Even if the tools used were
not fully automatic, there is still a big area which would be nice to
get mapped.

One case is of course trivial. IBM are still selling computers which
run the software for the first S/360, and the S/360 had porting tools
for lots of other old systems, including simulators and emulators.

HP-3000 also had a really long line of binary compatibility, but not as
much in the way of porting tools.

--
-bv