PDP11/23 - prompt?

Fred N. van Kempen waltje at pdp11.nl
Wed Jun 15 13:20:05 CDT 2005

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, Philipp Hachtmann wrote:

> Aha. But why is there no memory test etc? My documentation tells me
> about memory test messages etc. and a start prompt. Are there several
> bootstrap loaders around?
It does seem like a customized one.  A regular bootstrap would
look like:

---------
256 KW

START? _
--------

or such.

> If yes, does anyone have a better one?
Depends on the cards you have.  Open up the box, and list
us the cards (the Mxxxx numbers on the board handles will
do), this will tell us the system's configuration.

> What to do to get that kdf thing working? How will I know? On my CPU
> board are two eproms with green labels and nothing written on them. The
> docum
>
> If it is possible that I don't have the original bootstrap - can anyone
> send it to me via email?
>
> > You need to carefully inventory your boards and determine what you
> > have.

Oh, scrap the above :)

> I have:
> - CPU (M8189)
M8189       KDF11-BA    Q   11/23-PLUS single-board CPU

> - RAM (M8067), 128k*18?
M8067-FA    MSV11-PF    Q   128-Kbyte MOS memory with parity CSR
M8067-KA    MSV11-PK    Q   256-kbyte MOS memory with parity CSR
M8067-LA    MSV11-PL    Q   512-Kbyte MOS memory with parity CSR

> - RAM (8059), same size?
M8059-FA    MSV11-LF    Q   64-Kword MOS RAM, single voltage

> - Floppy controller M8029
M8029       RXV21       Q   RX02 floppy disk controller, 18-bit DMA only.

> - Emulex SC02/C RK06/07 compatible SMD disk controller (for my Ampex
> hard drive)

> - 2 * M8043 (4 serial ports)
M8043       DLVJ1-M     Q   4-Line Asynchronous Interface

> - 1 unknown Plessey interface card, P/No. 701775 (What's that ?)
Dunno, sorry.

So, this is an 11/23-PLUS (meaning, 22-bit Qbus), with at least
64+ 2x128KB (probably more, depending on which model of those
two cards), an RX interface, 8 serial ports (plus console),
the hard disk interface, and the Plessey card, which could be
tape, or I/O of some sort.

The system *could* have a non-standard boot ROM on the CPU
board.  If so, it will be easy to restore an original in there.

It **could** be the ROM from the Emulex card, by the way, as
the system most likely needed to boot off the Emulex card.

--f