Replace roller rubber on HP 9825 tape drive

Tony Duell ard at p850ug1.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 17 19:22:43 CDT 2005

> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 04:32 -0700, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
> > Any tips for cleaning off the existing material?  Isopropyl alcohol?
>
> Presumably the roller is secured by a circlip and you can remove it for

No way...

It's fixed to the motor spindle, and carries a tacho disk (with clear
and black lines) at the lower end. This is hidden inside the plastic
chassis of the tape drive, between a light bulb and a phototransistor.

I've not had my 9825 apart for some time, but I can remember that you
take out the complete tape drive unit, and then remove the screws holding
the PCB and mechanism to the mouting bracket. The motor assembly is held
in place by screws from the 'bottom; (non-cartridge-side) of the drive,
but I can't remember if you have to desolder any wires to get it to come
free enough. Then you can remove the setscrew(s) that hold the roller to
the motor and pull it off the spindle. Problem is that the setscrews burr
the spindle, and often the roller doesn't want to shift...