Archiving MFM and RLL drives

Jim Leonard trixter at oldskool.org
Sat Jun 18 01:51:47 CDT 2005

John Foust wrote:
> At 01:14 AM 6/17/2005, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
>
>>Someone (I think Jules or Philip) figured out there's an option you can
>>specify on the command line to tell dd to skip bad blocks and replace any
>>bad sectors with zeroes.
>
> I tell ya, we've got to enlist Steve Gibson to make a classic-friendly
> version of Spinrite to help recover disks that could be readable on
> old and new PC-style floppy controllers, and save them to an image format.

For the record, Spinrite 5 works on any machine (but there's a bug where it
only works on 8088/8086 if you use DOS 5 or higher -- I've tried DOS 3.3 and
2.11 and it hangs).  I use Spinrite 5 on my IBM 5150 all the time.

(Spinrite 6 requires 386 or higher.  Spinrites 1 through 4 work on any machine
with any DOS version, but 5 is the fastest.)
--
Jim Leonard (trixter at oldskool.org)                    http://www.oldskool.org/
Want to help an ambitious games project?             http://www.mobygames.com/