Altair Fan

Randy McLaughlin cctalk at randy482.com
Sun Jun 19 17:43:52 CDT 2005

From: "Richard A. Cini" <rcini at optonline.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2005 7:41 PM

> Interestingly, the Altair in question had two large caps in parallel
> floating around in the case, tied to a card bracket with a twist-tie.
> One of the previous owners must have replaced the original single
> 90,000uF cap with two.
>
> $30 later from Mouser, I bought a single Sprague 100,000uF/40v cap to
> replace the two and bolted it into the existing 3" bracket.
>
> Original? No, but neither was the earlier repair. At least it fits in
> the mounting bracket and exceeds the original specs.
<snip>

When I posted a message talking specifically about your altair I knew where
to find the "right" caps, it is too easy to fix it right.

If you have to replace a part such as a transformer with one with different
mounting hole to keep it working then do it please keep it working.

If it is too expensive to run with a linear power supply and if going to a
different power supply means it will be used then please save the parts you
have to remove.

I hate it when people cut holes for cables when with a little effort they
don't need to please don't.

There are many people with many goals that can all be considered correct by
me:

People that want it running right (even it it means replacing some pieces to
newer technology).

People that are interested in 100% original even if it doesn't work.

Etc.

Please just avaoid the in the dumpster rule.

Randy
www.s100-manuals.com