My classiccmp non-retirement :-)

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 21 11:17:00 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 20:52 -0400, Jerome H. Fine wrote:

<snip>

> At present, I am using Windows 98 SE (I realize that this
> is badly off topic, but I can't successfully use anything
> else with E11 to run my RT-11 programs).  Does anyone
> have any success with a CD emulation program that will
> allow me to use a CD image file (an exact duplicate of
> the ISO image file of the CD which was used to burn the
> CD in the first place)?  Are there both free and commercial
> versions?  What are the advantages and the disadvantages?

(Both free)

Linux:   mount -o loop,ro /path/to/cdimage.iso /mntpoint
	 Or point the emulator at a 'dd' image file of the CD.

Windows: DAEMON Tools.

The Linux command only tends to work with CD Images that are in ISO
format's, and contain a filesystem type Linux recognizes.

Daemon tools works w/ just about every format under the sun.
http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php

I believe that's the site.  Its most commonly used to image WinTendo
copy protected CDRoms, but it should do what you want.

The image file should show up as a CD drive under Windows.  I'm not 100%
certain how that would interact w/ an emulator, it _should_ work.  In
theory.

David