Any IBM Power / AIX fans out there?

Jeff Davis jdaviscl2 at soupwizard.com
Tue Jun 21 20:06:14 CDT 2005

Hi, I just acquired a few IBM POWERstation 370 in unknown condition.  I can
probably make a couple good units out of the 4 I have - they have disks,
memory, etc, were decommissioned from a university environment.

I also have a diagnostics set of a cdrom labeled "POWERstation / POWERserver
Diagnostics v4.1.5" and a floppy labeled "POWERstation / POWERserver High
Capacity (2M byte) Diagnostics Test Diskette", and an external plextor cdrom
to use to install software.

Right now, since I don't have an AIX 4.3.3 (last supported) install cdrom set,
I just want to get a machine powered up and tested.  I don't have a 13W3
monitor, nor keyboard or mouse (which I think are non-standard).

So, first question is:  I plugged up a standard null modem cable to the first
serial port, took out the video card, powered up (with nothing in the drives)
and saw: nothing.  Do I have to make a special cable, or reset the firmware,
or something?

Also, how does IBM deal with licensing AIX - is it tied to the machine, so if
I get a media kit I'm ok to install it?  Or did I just buy some boat anchors?

Thanks for any info,
Jeff Davis