How to transfer data FAST?

Johnny Billquist bqt at Update.UU.SE
Mon Jun 27 05:56:32 CDT 2005

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 Paul Koning <pkoning at equallogic.com> wrote:

>  >> So tell me, what are the really cool methods to transfer data
>  >> between a PC and a real PDP11 at a reasonable speed? SCSI
>  >> controller and SCSI disk? Something else? Ethernet?
>  >>
>  >> Or is a backup over serial line a normal thing...?
>
>  Guy> I found that the best way to backup/restore is to use tape.  I
>  Guy> have a TU80 on the PDP and a SCSI 9-track on the PC.  Works
>  Guy> great and is much faster than the serial line.
>
> Ethernet is another good way; DECnet is available on Linux.

Unfortunately, the DECnet for Linux sucks so bad it isn't usable. Well, it
is kindof usable if you want to talk with a VMS machine, but it don't work
against RSX. I've tried it... :-(

Appearantly the DECnet/Linux guys only have had VMS machines to test
against, and I didn't manage to stir much interest when I reported how
badly it failed with RSX. I only got responses like "well, that don't
surprise us, since we've only tested against VMS".

(I haven't tried DECnet/Linux against VMS, so I don't know if it works,
but that's what they say anyway.)

	Johnny

email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books