PDP 11 floppy disk question.

Ethan Dicks ethan.dicks at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:00:20 CDT 2005

On 6/28/05, Jim Beacon <jim at g1jbg.co.uk> wrote:
> A simple question, I hope!
>
> Can I use a normal 51/4" dsdd floppy drive with an RQDX3, in place of the
> twin drive RX50 unit? If so, do I need a special cable?

The Teac FD55-GFR was commonly used on PCs and, when the jumpers are
strapped the way DEC did, _is_ an RX33.  There are some variations on
how some of the signals are presented (pins 2 and 34, IIRC) and how
motor start and select interact, so you _do_ have to check jumpers.
Once you have a prepared FD55-GFR, it will go on the end of an RQDX3
just fine.  I know VMS has no problem with it, but I can't comment on
Unix or PDP-11 use.

If I had a pointer to the configuration, I'd post it, but I know such
things are hanging around on the 'net and in list-members directories.

-ethan