SASI device <-> PC ?

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Thu Jun 30 14:14:15 CDT 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 09:58, Nico de Jong wrote:
> From: "Lyle Bickley" <lbickley at bickleywest.com>
>
> > I have a couple of older Alpha Micro systems that use SASI drives.  I've
>
> found
>
> > that early SCSI controllers (typically ISA) will work fine with SASI
>
> drives
>
> > as long as you don't mix SASI with SCSI drives on the same controller.
>
> Would that include adapters like Adaptec 1542?

I don't think I tried an Adaptec 1542, but I suspect it's way too "smart" to
work with SASI drives.

It's been a while since I used the controller, but IIRC it was an old ISA
controller card like a WD7000 or Seagate ST-01/ST-02.  Any early SCSI-1
controller should do - that was before SCSI became "smart" - and the
messaging between the controller and the device (HDD) was minimal.  A SASI
device on such a controller will respond "well enough" to "look like" SCSI-1.

As I said before - DO NOT mix a SASI device with a SCSI device on the same
controller - or strange things can happen (don't ask).

Cheers,
Lyle
--
Lyle Bickley