Duplicate post notice, please read...

Jay West jwest at classiccmp.org
Tue Mar 1 15:00:47 CST 2005

Jim wrote...
> Are you saying that cctalk gets ALL posts?   If so that might explain
> the occasional complaint that "are off topic" I get on the cctalk
> list.  Some people don't realize which list they are responding to.

Yes, cctalk gets ALL posts. Once again....

Anything posted to cctech is automatically and instantaneously cross posted
by the server to cctech. Anything posted to cctalk is likewise cross posted
to cctalk, except it goes through moderation. That way, if you subsribe to
cctalk only, you will never miss a post to either list. You will get all
posts people make on either list.

If you subscribe to just cctech, people on cctech AND cctalk will see your
posts. But anything people post on cctalk that the moderator deems as
"off-topic", will not get copied to cctech.

So, for on-topic posts you will get the exact same posts no matter which
list you join. But if you're on cctech you won't get off-topic posts made to
cctalk.

As a result I can see no normal reason that someone would subscribe to both
lists since they carry the exact same posts automatically. However, Dave
brought up an interesting example, where his mail client automatically puts
cctech in a separate folder. Then when he gets behind he can catch up on
on-topic stuff and skip the off-topic posts.

Jay