PDP-1 project milestone

Lyle Bickley lbickley at bickleywest.com
Wed Mar 2 01:59:43 CST 2005

It was indeed thrilling to play Spacewar tonight on the PDP-1 - although I
have to admit I was one of the team members who wanted to stop at the very
positive note of having fixed the left shift/rotate bug - It was getting late
and I was worried that Spacewar wouldn't run - and we'd have to leave tonight
feeling slightly discouraged...

I had played Spacewar in the early sixties at Stanford University and  many
years later (in the mid-70's) I ran Spacewar on my own PDP-12.  But seeing it
run tonight on the PDP-1 was amazing and exciting - a forty year old machine
playing a spacewar game on a persistance-seven-screen was a sight to see and
a great experience to feel!!!!!  It, for sure, makes all the hours of labor
and TLC spent on the PDP-1 worth it :-)

Lyle

--
Lyle Bickley