Altair32 Emulator "Easter Egg" idea

John Foust jfoust at threedee.com
Thu Mar 3 22:23:59 CST 2005

At 09:16 PM 3/3/2005, Richard A. Cini wrote:
>I had an idea for an Easter Egg within the Altair32 Emulator. I
>remember a story that you could run a certain program on the Altair and hold
>an AM radio next to the Altair and you would hear music. IIRC, the song was
>"Daisy" as was played in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I remember listening to sounds via AM radio in Target or Trek on
an IMSAI circa 1979 or so.  For that matter, it was fun just
to listen to the sound coming from the radio when you did different
things on the computer.

Might we be able to begin to speculate exactly which parts of the
Altair or IMSAI were the source of AM frequency emanations?

Might there be a clever way to emulate the AM sound of the emulated code,
generating the radio sound directly through the PC's audio system?

- John