Create a VAX CPU with FPGA?

Wai-Sun Chia waisun.chia at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 23:52:27 CST 2005

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:37:57 -0800, Zane H. Healy <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:
> I'm one of the lucky ones, all of my main PDP-11's have SCSI
> adapters.  However, only one of my two -8's (/m & /e) have a disk

Lucky bastard! :-)
Either you've had a windfall, or you're now less an arm and a leg...

> controller, though I've not found time to get either -8 fully running
> :^(  One thing that really worries me is that the days of being able
> to get new SCSI disks that will work with a PDP-11 are coming to an
> end, if they aren't already over.  One of the vendors that is very
> good with getting 3rd party disks to work with VMS has reported that
> the new U320 drives don't sync down to Narrow SCSI right.

Wow. That has happened already?... bummer

> What I'd really like to see is some sort of MFM HD emulator.  That's
> something that would be of use to more than just us DEC users.  For
> those of us that would use it with DEC HW, something that would
> emulate a RD51-RD54 would be great for those OS's that expect a
> specific HD type.

To fantasize further:
- device end either SCSI/U320/SCA or IDE/SATA
- bus end (Qbus or Unibus) emulates  the largest type of a family, i.e:
  RD/RD54, RL/RL02, RX/RX02, RK/RK07, same for RP, and the rest

I think the hardware part is the easiest. The stumbling block would be
the emulation layer in order for applications to run unchanged int the
various DEC OSs..

/wai-sun