Who invented DOS?

willisjo at zianet.com willisjo at zianet.com
Fri Mar 4 10:51:10 CST 2005

vrs writes:

>> At 09:26 AM 3/4/2005, Jim Leonard wrote:
>> >You could make a case that CP/M was modeled after Unix, but we won't go
> there :-)
>>
>> Never!  RT-11, maybe.
>
> I always thought both were modeled after OS/8 :-).  (Which was, in turn, a
> souped up DMS.)
>
>     Vince

It was originally written by Tim Patterson of Seattle Computer Products, as
86-QDOS (Quick and Dirty OS). The initial purchase by Microsoft was for
$15,000 IIRC, but full rights to the OS were purchased later for a larger
sum. Patterson was originally planning on including multitasking, but did
not due to time constraints. The OS gained tree-structured directories and
I/O redirection/pipes (< > >> |) in 2.0 (inspired by UNIX), and a major
rewrite for 5.0 (I believe this rewrite was largely the work of Charles
Simonyi, but could not be sure).

Tim Patterson was hired by Microsoft for a period of time.

John

John P. Willis
Coherent Logic Development