MS-DOS, HFS, and other file separators

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 13:45:00 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 13:36 -0500, Steve Jones wrote:
> So, what else have we got out there for file/directory path
> separators? We've got DEC's "DEVICE:[DIR.SUB]FILE.TXT;1" and
> uhm... actually, I can't think of the conventions for any others
> at the moment.

Acorn's DFS is :drive.dir.filename - but dir can only be a single
character (and directories can't be nested).

What about Commodore machines - did they support directories at all?

Most things of that era seem to work at the partition / file level and
ignore the concept of directories altogether.

> I can't remember what DomainOS did, but I remember it striking me
> when I learned of it.

Isn't it just machine:unix-path ? Can't remember now, although I may be
attempting an install of DomainOS tomorrow so will be finding out pretty
soon ;) (I do have manuals, just not here)

cheers

Jules