picking locks

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 7 04:27:39 CST 2005

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 18:43 -0500, Paul Koning wrote:

>  Scott> (to bring this back on-topic) Do people feel it is 'damaging'
>  Scott> to the credentials of a classic machine if the keylock is
>  Scott> disabled or replaced?  Are there sources for the keys?  My
>  Scott> ancient RS/6000 has the lock 'sprung' so that any screwdriver
>  Scott> will turn it.  My SparcServer 1000 has the lock intact (and I
>  Scott> have the key).
>
> In the case of DEC, there are only two locks that I know of.  One is
> an ACE (tubular key) lock; the other is a 3 or 4 pin flat key lock.
> They have always been keyed alike since the beginning of time.

I've found that it's ridiculously cheap over here to get a flat key made
if you just take the lock in to the right people; no need to have the
original key or even any kind of lock number.

I've yet to find anyone who can make (or even duplicate from original) a
tubular key though. (Which is annoying as it'd be nice to have a backup
for the steering wheel lock on my car! :)

cheers

Jules