minor list changes

Erik Klein classiccmp at vintage-computer.com
Mon Mar 7 09:46:46 CST 2005

> Talk about the inevitability of using modern tools to support
> our habit of old computers.

There are those that would fight the inevitable forever if able.  The
Amish still use horse and buggy, don't they?

> A few more Slashdottings on interesting topics and this list
> could expand.

Even without that I think the hobby is growing substantially.  We don't
need some sudden influx when the steady growth may well do the same thing.

> Yes, a web forum would be Different and All, but at least it
> throws away all this haggling about list traffic and MX debugging.
> A little LAMP server, a little postNuke, we could be up in minutes.

"We" already are.  There are several vintage computer discussion boards
out there including my own.

> Yes, I know it would require a modern web browser.  Is this the
> Civil War re-enactor list?  Are my buttons and hardtack not
> authentic enough?  Why the emotional attraction to a mailing list
> as opposed to the web?

The luddites are coming, the luddites are coming! :)

I've heard the same arguments from list aficionados as from newsgroup
hounds about why web forums suck.  The bottom line, though, is that
"Change is BAD!" (tm)

--
Erik Klein
www.vintage-computer.com