Can't read CP/M disks on PC

Fred Cisin cisin at xenosoft.com
Mon Mar 7 16:51:37 CST 2005

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, Vintage Computer Festival wrote:
> So now that I've got the 8" drive running well on the PC, I am trying to
> read 8" CP/M disks.  22Disk is giving me sector not found errors
> (cylinder 2, side 0, sector 1) and the DOS CP/M tools are giving me
> "Unknown floppy disk format", even on disks that read fine on my NEC APC.
> I tried reading in a sector using debug but I also get read errors.
> Any ideas?
> The drive is a Tandon TM 848-02.  Very little information online, but it
> seems to support DSDD.

1) What disk format is it?
2) If you can "ignore" the error on sector #1, can it read sector #2?
(WD formats sometimes start too soon after the index pulse for NEC)
3) "Sector Not Found" (err #4) is likely to be due to the "wrong" format.
(wrong sector size or wrong sector number), but it IS MFM
4) err #2 (address mark) means wrong density/recording type/data transfer
rate

Fred Cisin                      cisin at xenosoft.com
XenoSoft                        http://www.xenosoft.com/fmts.html