OT:techology

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 05:15:09 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 21:20 -0700, woodelf wrote:
> Tony Duell wrote:
>
> >>I'm baffled by those who would gladly spend months searching for the
> >>right NOS replacement part for a 20-year-old computer, and who would
> >>cheerfully build their own computer out of sand and bamboo on a desert
> >>island given a proper vacation, or who've memorized the arcana of all
> >>mechanical and electrical technology in the last 100 years, or whom
> >>

> Hmm  sand and bamboo  how would you do that  ?...

Argh, don't ask things like that.

You've got gravity. Dry sand flows pretty well. Bamboo is hollow and so
can be used to channel dry sand around. Different lengths of bamboo
could be used to introduce delays. Doubtless you could make basic logic
gates.

Some sort of mechanical effort would be needed to lift sand again in
order to combat gravity pulling sand downward.

Not much different from a relay computer really, I suppose. Just slower.
And more sandy.

(I think you got your attribution wrong by the way! Tony might enjoy
such a challenge :)

cheers

Jules